It occupies an area of 27,000 square meters ...
Located in the western part of Skanderbeg Square, the historic square on which overlook the most important tourist attractions of Tirana, the Albanian National Historical Museum is the largest museum institution of the city and one of the most important of the entire Albania and beyond. The museum, designed by the Albanian Enver Faja and inaugurated on October 28, 1981, occupies a total area of 27,000 square meters, 18,000 of which are available for exhibitions.
Inside it helds about 5,000 objects that trace the history of the Albanian people and its territory, from the fourth millennium BC until the second half of the twentieth century. Outside, right on the facade of the museum, stands the beautiful and gigantic mosaic "Albanians" made up of five Albanian contemporary artists: Vilson Kilica, Anastas Kostandini, Agim Nebiu, Justin Droboniku and Aleksander Filipi.The decorative mosaic monumental, which is considered a true masterpiece of the Albanian Socialist Realism, that was completed in 1980 and depicts the Albanian people in history, from the Illyrians to partisans. The museum is arranged according to the historical periods of the country and is divided into eight halls.
Pavilion of Mother Teresa
As its title, the pavilion is dedicated to Mother Teresa of Calcutta,name of birth Anjezë Gonxhe Bojaxhiu, the famous religious Albanian Catholic, founder of the religious congregation of the Missionaries of Charity. At the age eighteen, Mother Teresa reached Calcutta, where her work among the victims of poverty has made her one of the most famous people in the world. She has received numerous awards, including the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979. In the pavilion you can see photos and personal religious objects.
Pavilion of the Anti-Fascist War
This pavilion is one of the most important of the museum, it is shown the Albanian communist resistance with Italians and Germans fascism during the National Liberation War. With war artifacts, photos, weapons and documents, it wa testified the fascist invasion and the dictatorship of Mussolini, the birth of the Albanian Communist Party, one of the first groups and the first anti-fascist organizations. Inside we can find exhibits as: the diary of Qemal Stafa, very active in the Albanian political propaganda against the Axis occupation troops; personal items of Margarita and Kristaq Tutulani, both killed by fascist troops; and the rifle Walter Audisio, one of Benito Mussolini's executioners. At the center of the pavilion is the "Unknown soldier " statue that symbolizes the anti-fascist struggle of the Albanian people.
Pavilion of communist persecution
It was opened in 1996, the pavilion is dedicated to the Communist Genocide that include the period between 1944 and 1990. It contains mostly photos and documents about the main events of those difficult years for the Albanian people from creation of nationalist and anti-communist political organizations such as the Balli Kombëtar Shqiptar until the collapse of the communist dictatorship. Particularly touching is the list of names of persons who, during the communist dictatorship were sentenced and shot by the regime, the list also includes personalities in art, literature and culture.
Pavilion of iconography
Established in 1999 in collaboration with the Institute of Cultural Monuments of the Republic of Albania (IMK), the pavilion presents the public icons and objects of Albanian churches dating back to the period from the sixteenth century until the early nineteenth century. In particular, it has preserved a large number of Onufri masterpieces, the most important iconographer post-Byzantine art in Albania, which was very active as a painter of icons and frescoes in the sixteenth century. As well as the masterpieces of Onufri, you can also admire works by other artists such as his son Nikola, Kostandin Shpatarakun, David Selenicasin, Kostandin and Athanas Zografi, MihalAnagnosti and many others.
Albanian Independence Hall
Dedicated to the Albanian Independence, the pavilion reflects the main historical moments from the declaration of independence of Albania which took place November 28, 1912, when Ismael Qemali in Vlora establish a National Assembly from which borns the first sovereign state, until 1939.Inside we find a series of documents and objects that testifies meetings, conferences, conventions and treaties signatures that led to the organization of the new independent territory of Albania. Among the objects are: the telegraph device Mors (station) Czeija model used by the government in 1912-1914; Revolver of Isa Boletini, in particular known as the Albanian military and political figure of the Albanian nationalism and commander of the early twentieth-century warfare; and a painting of the Albanian painter Vangjel Zengo of Fan S. Noli, one of the leading figures of the Albanian nation history.
Pavilion of the Albanian National Revival
Considered one of the most beautiful museum, the pavilion dedicated to the Albanian National Revival considers the historical period that goes from the 30s - 40s of the nineteenth century until independence, declared by Albania in 1912. Inside you'll discover the culture of the Albanians through original objects, documents, books, photographs, flags, weapons and other cultural goods. Among the major national historical objects that are found it is reported: an original document of the Proclamation of Independence of Albania with photos of participants in the National Assembly of Vlora of 28 November 1912; the desk and collecting books of Sami Frashëri (1825-1904), an important figure of the National Revival, the late nineteenth century of Albanian National Revival movement; and a collection of weapons decorated with filigree eagle-shaped silver.
Through the collections presented in this hall visitors can discover the economic, social, political and cultural of Albania in the period from the sixth century to the eighteenth century. There are relics that testify to the development of agriculture in the area and the minting of coins, a collection of objects that belonged to the most important Albanian princes and documents that testify to the resistance of the Albanian people against the rulers of the Byzantine ancient peoples as: the Serbians, French and Turkish. Among the things to admire stand the monumental portal of the Monastery of St. John Vladimir in Elbasan with the embleme of arms of Prince Karl Topia and the Epitaph of Gllavenica, dating from the year 1373.
Hall of Antiquities
Located on the ground floor of the museum, the Hall of antiquity is one of the most important halls and rich of artifacts. There are relics from the period between the Late Palaeolithic and the Middle Ages Primitivo. Among the exhibits the pavilion includes: objects of prehistoric homes of Maliq, an extraordinary collection of prehistoric pottery, bronze and silver coins minted in honor of Monum Gentiles and kings, ornaments and weapons from the Iron Age and sculptures of school of Apollonia.